Gowanus Canal Community Advisory Group Meeting
Tuesday, January 19, 2016
P.S. 58 Auditorium, 330 Smith Street, Brooklyn, NY 11231
Report from Walter Mugdan, Director, Emergency and Remedial Response Division, EPA Region 2
- EPA expects to have a decision on the tanks location in the February/March timeframe
- Two CSO retention tanks are required by the ROD. The city was under obligation to come up with a siting study and submit to EPA by June 30, 2015.
- The two top-rated sites are Thomas Greene Park (swimming pool) and the head of canal location, which consists of the two parcels on the east side of the canal, each assigned a roman numeral by the ROD: VI, VII
- The city proposed the canal-side site, but the ROD selected the park site due to easier site acquisition, permitting, and construction costs
- The park site is a major source of coal tar contamination. The pool will have to be dismantled (and an interim pool provided) to allow cleanup.
- NYS DEC issued ROD for the Fulton MGP site, directly under the swimming pool.